Get Stronger, Get Firmer, Get Sexier - Strength Train After 40






I always feel healthy, fit and attractive after one of my strength training sessions at home.




I recently started strength training.  I love it! I am not training for anything specific other than I love the way it makes me feel, I love the impact on my body and most importantly I love the way it positively impacts my health.

There are few things you want to make sure you do before you start strength training.
  • Make sure you get clearance from the Doctor before you start. 
  • Make sure you get a good trainer to design a
    great program for you and to monitor your progress. 
  • Make sure you are eating a healthy diet that is lower in calories and fat.
  • Make sure you have FUN!
 Once you start your training program get ready for some great results.  I saw some changes in my body after about two weeks!  After three weeks I lost an inch in my waist, and my back muscles started to return to how they used to be when I danced professionally(I stopped dancing professionally a year ago).  Here are some other benefits I have found since I have started strength training:
  • I have dropped a couple of pounds and even more inches -Strength training helps to build muscle. Your muscle tissue burns calories even when you are resting, hence you will have a tendency to burn more calories when you are strength training.  Combining strength training with cardio training will give you the best results if weight loss is the goal. It's important to point out that muscle is heavier than fat, so don't get upset if the scale starts to go up or isn't going down. Instead look for a different measurement to monitor your progress ie measuring your waist.
  •  I am more toned and look firmer -  You will be amazed how quickly your body will look more toned and firm.  You may not drop the weight but you will drop some inches and maybe a dress size or two. If you want to make sure the weight drops, include cardio in your movement regime. 
  • I have better balance - My balance has improved because I am getting stronger.  This is especially important as we age.  As we grow older we can begin to loose our balance and the stronger we are the less of a chance of falling and injury.  Plus improving our balance helps us to get involved in other activities like dancing, skiing and jogging.  
  • I have less blood sugar highs and lows - I used to have issues with my blood sugar going up and down. Since I don't eat sugar I couldn't figure out why I was having these fluctuations.  Once I started strength training I found my blood sugar levels were better.  The American Heart Association says evidence shows that resistance and strength training can reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes in later life due to increased insulin sensitivity
  • I feel less anxiety and stress - There is no question that since I have been strength training my mood is much better.  I feel more optimistic. I feel more joyful, and I very rarely worry.  Whenever I start to feel a bit anxious I go out to my weight room and do my 30 minute routine.  Strength training definitely lifts my spirits. 
Other benefits include increasing your bone strength to help prevent osteoporosis by increasing your bone density and slowing the process of bone loss overtime.   Strength training can also help manage chronic conditions such as back pain, heart disease, diabetes,  and arthritis.   Studies also show strength training can help to improve your heart health.

Two books I recommend about strength training for women over 40. 







For more great information to keep you mind,body and spirit well.  Click here. 

Tune -in to "The Wellness Journey-LIVE!"  for great interviews with great topics about wellness for the mind, body and spirit for Women over 40.

Catch my daily broadcast "Wellness Woman 40 Daily Affirmation and Tips" on Periscope.


Comments

Popular Posts