Jump Starting Your Morning


Morning Ritual - Stretching and bringing in the light

This morning I had some problems getting out of bed.  Not sure why – I just guess I got overwhelmed thinking about all the goals and objectives I have yet to accomplish for my organization PriaseWorks,Inc.   Do ever get that feeling?  That you have so much to do and everything is an A1 priority?  That would be me about once a week.  But I have discovered something to help me deal with that overwhelmed feeling.  Thought I would share it with you.
Prayer – every morning like clock work I go into prayer with my prayer line.  There are 12 of us and we pray every morning at 4:50am 7 days a week, 365 days a year.  There are some mornings that I can barely keep my eyes open, or I zone out because perhaps I dozed off, but most mornings I get out of bed go to my prayer room and start my prayers.  We each take turns requesting prayer and then one person prays on behalf of  everyone.   I have to say it gives me something to look forward to each day.   Many times it has jump started me and I have gotten over that overwhelmed feeling that I sometimes wake up with.  I can tell the difference when I miss that call (I try not to lt that happen)
AM Exercise – After prayer I do a few stretches to get the blood circulating and to gently awaken my body to a new day.   This does not come without a lot of “I don’t feel like it” type of comments but it is amazing what stretching will do.  Just standing and stretching your arms to the side, then doing some deep breathing to stable yourself and give you a sense of physical peace.  Sometimes I take a short walk, or get on the elliptical if I really feel like moving.  But the whole focus is really on getting your body moving, getting the circulation going, getting your brain activated and in tuned with your body so you can start your day on an “upswing”
Water – Cliche but true – a nice 8 oz glass of what – perhaps with lemon or mint is a wonderful energizer after praying and exercising.  It rejuvenates your body and you can feel it spreading throughout your body – really…I do it every day and it makes me feel like tackling the rest of my day.
The Top Five – After drinking my water and waiting for my toast and  my coffee (yes my one vice) I start on my list.  To avoid the reaction of feeling overwhelmed I start with my top five priorities that I must accomplish for that day.  I realize that there are  enough things that I need to do that I can spend the rest of the day  “listing ” things and there I go stressing out again. So, I keep it to the Top Five. Noted things can get in the way of the Top Five but I really try to stick to Top Five because I feel such a sense of accomplishment when I complete those five things on the list.  Funny thing is that the Top Five might end up actually being 7 or 8 things I accomplished but it all starts for me with the Top Five.

These little rituals might sound silly or sophomoric , but they work for me.  I look back over the last 10 months since I started my business and I marvel at the accomplishments in such a short period of time.
It has been the Morning Ritual that has focused me and kept me striving to meet my goals.  I don’t always succeed in doing my early morning ritual everyday, but whenever I skip it Ican feel it.  I realize that this ritual may not be right for you; personalize it and make your morning ritual what you need to start your day in a loving and healthy way.

Lynnis Woods-Mullins CEO and Founder,PraiseWorks,Inc
Lifestyle Coach - Health and Wellness
Host, "The Wellness Journey" on Voice America Wellness Network
www.praiseworks.biz

  

 

Comments

Popular Posts