Tuesday, February 8, 2011
10 Health Benefits of Cinnamon
Did you know that right in your kitchen are some of the most medicinal products you could ever find. One of them is Cinnamon!
Cinnamon was discovered in Sira Lanka over 1000 years ago. It is one of the oldest spices in the world and also one of the most medicinal spices in the world. It contains unique healthy and healing properties. These healing properties come from the active components in the essential oils found in its bark. Cinnamon has extremely high anti-oxidant activity which is why it has numerous health benefits.
Here are just 10 of the many uses for Cinnamon that are healing and good for your body.
1. Have a cold? - Try using 1/2 a teaspoon of honey and 1/4 teaspoon of Cinnamon. Using this for three days has been known to wipe out the common cold. Cinnamon is very good for any upper respiratory congestion.
2. Been forgetful lately? - Try using some Cinnamon; about 1/4 teaspoon. Studies show that Cinnamon can improve memory. Cinnamon boosts the activity of the brain and hence acts as a good brain tonic. It helps in removing nervous tension and memory loss.
3. Suffer from heavy cramps during your cycle? - Cinnamon has been known to help ease cramps during a menstrual cycle. Cinnamon also helps in natural birth control. Regular consumption of cinnamon after child birth delays menstruation and thus helps in avoiding conception
4. Suffer from Arthritis? Cinnamon has been known to have excellent anti-inflammatory properties and also helps to reduce pain and swelling. A study conducted at Copenhagen University, where patients were given half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning had significant relief in arthritis pain after one week and could walk without pain within one month
5. Feeling nauseated, stomach upset? - Cinnamon is a known to aide digestion. Besides adding flavor to food it helps with indigestion, nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, diarrhea and flatulence. For those have gas and stomach aches in the morning Cinnamon helps with getting rid of those ailments.
6. Have a Pimple? - Cinnamon is good for removing blood impurities. Therefore, it is good for getting rid of pimples and blackheads.
7. Struggle with Calcium Intake? - It is a great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium
8. Is your blood sugar too high? - Cinnamon is a great at regulating blood sugar. Many Type II Diabetics swear by Cinnamon to help maintain their blood sugar levels.
9. Have High Cholesterol? - Cinnamon is instrument in lowering LDL "bad" cholesterol, and triglycerides (fatty acids in the blood) and total cholesterol. 1/2 teaspoon a day will significantly help lower your cholesterol.
10. Have a headache cause by cold weather? - Headache due to the exposure to cold wind is readily cured by applying a thin paste of powdered cinnamon mixed in water on the temples & forehead
NOTE - Cinnamon should not be used by pregnant women and be careful not to overdose with Cinnamon