5 Healthy Foods A Must For Menupausal Women
Well I am finally here! In full out menopause with the majority of symptoms and a myriad of possible solutions! What works? What doesn't? Is it true that this may last ....indefinitely??
There is so much information out there it is staggering trying to determine what works for who. I have found personally that going the route of exercise and watching what I eat seems to make the best difference over time.
There are some foods in particular that will not only help minimize the symptoms but will also work proactively to keep you healthy. During this time of life it is more important than ever to have a diet that will protect your bones, heart and the rest of your body.
Here is the list of foods a woman should always include in their diet:
- Calcium Rich Milk - No-Fat or Skim Milk is a good source of Vitamin D which is needed to maintain strong bones. If you are lactose intolerant or just don't milk Almond Milk, Rice Milk and Coconut Milk are an even better source of Calcium. Research has shown that dairy foods can help you loose fat so if you do like Non Fat Milk - keep drinkin'
- Whole Grains - Eat high whole grains. The American Heart Association has pointed out the cardiovascular disease is the number one killer of women. Once you reach menopause it is even more important to make sure that high fiber food is HIGH on your list of must haves for your diet. At least half (if not more) of the foods you eat that contain grains should be whole grain, such as whole wheat breads, whole grain cereals, and brown rice.
- Fatty Fish - Fatty Fish such as Salmon are particularly important for Menopausal women to add to their diet. The Omega 3 is good for your heart but studies have also shown that it can help with the bone density loss that sometimes comes with menopause.
- Fruits and Vegetables - Always a mainstay for a healthy diet but more specifically fruits and veggies are important for women going through menopause. Fruits and Vegetables can help you stay at a healthy weight. In addition, the potassium found in some fruits and vegetables can help you keep your blood pressure at a healthy level.
- Nuts - Eating more nuts is essential for Women in general but diets rich in these same plant based omega 3s are adept at preventing excessive bone turnover which keeps bones strong and healthy.