Great Holiday Appetizer - Low in Calories & Fat; High In Healthiness,Yumminess, & Easiness To Make!
|Hummus from The Nile restaurant, Chicago. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
One of my favorite foods that is packed with nutrients and health benefits is Hummus. Traditionally this dish is a favorite in Middle Eastern countries and it is now very popular in other parts of the world. It has a texture and consistency something like peanut butter. It is very easy make and a great addition to your holiday appetizer menu.
1. Health Benefits of ChickpeasThe nutritional benefits of hummus can be rooted down from each of its ingredients. For one, chickpeas are very healthy because they do not contain any cholesterol or saturated fats. They are also rich in protein. This makes hummus a favorite among vegetarians. Chickpeas are also known to be effective in preventing build up of cholesterol in the blood vessels. Apart from that, it can maintain correct blood sugar levels.
2. Nutritional Value of TahiniTahini, meanwhile, is full of fat and calories. However, the fact that it is used sparingly in most hummus recipes and that it mostly contains unsaturated fat means there is not much to worry about. Like chickpeas, tahini is also high in protein. Apart from that, it is a great source of calcium.
3. Healthy Ingredients in Olive OilAnother healthy ingredient found in hummus is olive oil. As most people know, olive oil is a healthy fat. It has high monounsaturated fat content but low in saturated fat. This oil can thus help regulate cholesterol and protect the heart from various diseases.
4. Health Benefits of Garlic and Lemon JuiceGarlic and lemon juice, meanwhile, are filled with antioxidants that reduce oxidative stress in the body. They also work to improve immune functions and fight of bacteria and viruses.
5. General Health Benefits of HummusHummus as a whole contains plenty of Omega 3 fatty acids, which are great for improving intelligence and maintaining a healthy heart. On top of it all, this dish also has iron, vitamin B6, manganese, copper, folic acid, and amino acids. Tryptophan, phenylalanine, and tyrosine are the amino acids found in hummus that can promote good quality sleep and uplift one’s mood.
Various ingredients you can use for Hummus.
Great Hummus Recipe Books
Tune in to The Wellness Journey Podcast Series for tips on how to stay well in your mind, body and spirit
Listen to The Wellness Journey Radio Show - Interviews with experts in the field of mind, body, spirit wellness